Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Pie Crust

I went looking for a pie crust a few days ago because the one I currently use has more ingredients and is a little more time consuming. I wanted something I could just throw together when I got into the mood to make a pie, or a quiche...So I took my search to google and I found this recipe.

It is very simple, nice and flaky and delicious.

Pie Dough:
1/2 Cup    Butter (Frozen and grated)
1 1/4 Cup    AP Flour
1/4 tsp.    Salt (only if using unsalted butter)
1/4 Cup    Ice Water


I used a cheese grater and straight from the freezer butter. I grated with the bigger size.


Mix grated butter into the flour, add salt (if used) at this point.


For the ice water just fill a cup with ice add some water and wait a couple min while it gets nice and cold. Then measure out 1/4 Cup and add to the flour 1 Tbsp. at a time, I stirred the water in with a spatula and when I was finished adding the water I used my hands to incorporate all of the dry in. 

*Do not knead too much otherwise your crust will shrink in the pan while baking.*

At this point you can either wrap it in plastic wrap and place into the fridge or you can immediately roll it out if it is not too soft. 


Roll the dough out, trying to keep it circle. A trick to keep the dough from sticking to the table or wherever you are rolling it out at is...keep the dough moving. Roll out the dough a little then rotate a quarter turn keep going until you can fit an 8" or 9" pie pan.


Transfer the dough to a pie pan (I always spray my pans with cooking spray) decorate the edges however  you want. 

To pre-bake a pie crust bake at 350F until golden brown 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment