Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Sweet Buttermilk Cornbread

Let me start this post by saying that I never liked cornbread when I was younger. Something about the crunchy corn kernels inside just didn't do it for me. Lately I have been trying "new" things that I hated when I was a child.

This is where cornbread comes in...Now, when I found this recipe on allrecipes, I was quite surprised. It had 3,661 reviews and it was still given a 5 star! I immediately decided to try it out. This recipe is ah-mazing! It is sweet and moist, not at all dry with crunchy bits of corn in it! I was converted, I am happy to say that I am a cornbread eater now. :)

I did want to note, this is a sweet cornbread, if you are looking for a more authentic southern style cornbread you will probably be disappointed.

Sweet Buttermilk Cornbread
Yield (1) 8 or 9" square pan

1/2 cup    Butter
2/3 cup    Sugar
2    Eggs
1 cup    Buttermilk
1/2 tsp    Baking Soda
1 cup    Cornmeal
1 cup    A.P. Flour
1/2 tsp    Salt


Grease (and flour if you'd like) square pan


Melt butter in a pot.


Remove from heat and add sugar, stir to combine.


Add eggs, mix well.

(not shown: mix together buttermilk and baking soda)


Pour buttermilk mixture into pot, stir to combine.


Add cornmeal, flour, and salt, mix until only a few lumps are left.


Pour into prepared pan. 

Bake at 375F for about 30 mins


It will be a nice golden color on the outside, and a toothpick will come out clean when tested.


Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment