Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Blueberry Buttermilk Breakfast Muffins

I have been pretty busy for this last week, I am in the process of making my husbands halloween costume and it is coming along great! I know, I am starting really early but I am just really excited! I love halloween! It is my favorite holiday, I love dressing up, I love all the sweets (thus my baking blog), I love all of the scary stuff!

I am going to start doing some halloween baking tutorials soon, so stay tuned!

But for now, here is a delicious blueberry buttermilk breakfast muffin!

Blueberry Buttermilk Breakfast Muffin
Adapted from Alexandra Cooks
Yield about 8 Muffins or 1 (9") Square Pan

1/2 Cup    Butter, room temp
Zest from 1 Large Lemon
3/4 Cup + 2 Tbsp    Sugar
1    Egg
1 Tsp    Vanilla
2 Cups    Flour (keep 1/4 cup out to mix with the blueberries)
2 Tsp    Baking Powder
1 Tsp    Salt (omit if using salted butter)
2 Cups    Blueberries
1/2 Cup    Buttermilk



Mix together the butter, lemon zest, and sugar.


(doesn't this look yummy?!)


Add the vanilla and egg, mix until combined.


Toss the blueberries with 1/4 cup of flour.


With just a spatula, mix in the flour, baking powder, and salt (if using), and the buttermilk.

*I messed up at this point, the original recipe says to mix in the dry mix (flour, salt, baking powder) and the buttermilk alternating, I did not do this and mine came out perfectly fine, just a little bit small, because I under filled my liners. You can try either way.


Mix gently, so you don't crush the blueberries.


Fill the liners with the batter, the batter is not runny, it is a thicker batter. Sprinkle a little bit of sugar on each one.

Now I filled 12, but as you can see below they turned out small, I think that if you do 8, they will be nice and big.

Bake at 350F for about 15-20 min, toothpick inserted into center should come out clean. 


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment