Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Crescent Rolls and Cinnamon Rolls

We have a twofer tonight! I am posting another recipe, I had made the lemon loaf yesterday, but didn't have time to write up the post until today. But, today I have made...Crescent Rolls! OMG! This recipe is amazing! I absolutely love it! I made a full recipe which would normally yield 32 rolls, but I took 1/2 of the dough and rolled it out to make some cinnamon rolls. I have not had a chance to try those, but with a bread like this adding cinnamon and brown sugar will just make it taste even more delicious!

Here is the recipe.

Crescent Rolls:

2 Cups    Warm Water
2/3 Cups    Nonfat Dry Milk Powder
2 Tbsp.    Dry Yeast (I used dry active)
1/4 Cup    Sugar
2 Tsp.    Salt
1/2 Cup    Butter (Soft but not melted)
1    Egg
4 1/2-5 Cups    A.P. Flour (I ended up using 5 cups)



In a mixing bowl (I have a 6 Qt. bowl lift KitchenAid mixer) place the warm water and the dry milk into the bowl and dissolve. Next, add the dry yeast and sugar, stir to mix. Add the soft butter (I cut it into chunks) the egg and 2 cups of flour, place the salt on top of the flour, make sure not to touch the salt and yeast together as salt will kill the yeast.

Mix on low speed until the ingredients are wet, then increase to medium speed for 2 mins.


Scrape sides, add 2 more cups of flour, again mix on low until incorporated (wet), then increase to medium speed for 2 mins. 


Scrape sides, add 1/2 cup of flour, mix on low until incorporated (wet), then increase to medium speed for 2 mins. 

*If dough is still too wet add an additional 1/2 cup of flour*


Scrape sides and add about 1 Tbsp of vegetable oil to coat the sides of bowl. Or if you want you can spray cooking/baking spray onto another bowl and plop the dough into that.


Cover with plastic wrap and put into a warm area, I placed mine under the stove lights.


Let rise for about an hour, the dough will be very puffy and light.


Cut dough in 1/2 and roll the half into a circle (about the size of a large pizza/just about 1/4" I didn't measure I just eyeballed it)


Cut into 16 triangles (I actually just used my bowl scraper to cut the dough)


Roll from bigger end to smaller end tuck the point under the roll. Let rise in a warm area until double in size (1 hr-1.5 hours).


Bake at 350F for 10-15 mins, rotate halfway through (I took mine out at 13 mins)


Cinnamon Rolls:


Roll the second half of the dough into a big rectangle.


Brush on melted butter and sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon.


Roll from the top to the bottom and place seam on the bottom. Cut into 12 rolls.


I used a 9"x13" pan, buttered and floured. I placed the rolls into the pan and let rise in a warm place (1 hr-1.5 hours)


Bake at 350F for about 15 mins (or until golden brown) Top with frosting or glaze.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Very Nice! Can't wait to get home and try this out.

    ReplyDelete