Thursday, May 2, 2013

English Muffins

I have pinned (on Pinterest) about 1,000 recipes, ok maybe not that many but at least a couple hundred. So, I told myself "Stephanie, no more, make the recipes you have saved!"

Well, here goes. My first recipe that I tried was english muffins. This is the blog that pinterest sent me to, she has beautiful pictures of her finished english muffins. I have decided to take pictures of the process. Now, as a side note, mine did not turn out as wonderfully tall as hers did, but I think that has to do with the fact that I used fresh yeast not rapid rise. I will need to fiddle with the method and amounts a bit and then update. I did want to put out there that this recipe is delicious, but did not have the consistency of english muffins that I have bought at the store. More of a soft biscuit type consistency.

Here is the recipe:

English Muffins
Yields about 12 muffins (depending on the size circle cutter you use)

AP Flour: 3 Cups
Milk: 1/2 cup
Butter: 2 Tbsp.
Honey: 1 1/2 Tbsp.
Warm Water: 1/2 Cup
Rapid Rise Yeast: 1 1/4 Tsp.
Salt: 1/2 Tsp.
Cornmeal: as needed

*note, if you want to use other types of yeast in place of rapid rise please convert to the right amounts. I used this website.*

Method:
In a bowl, mix the yeast and the warm water together. Set aside for 5 minutes until frothy. (Not pictured)
 *Again, I used fresh cake yeast so I just mixed it together and did not worry about the foam.*


Next, in a sauce pan, heat the milk, butter, and honey until the butter is melted. Make sure the mixture is warm, not hot, as it will kill the yeast if it is. If the mix is hot, don't worry just wait a few minutes until it cools down. Once it is warm, mix with the yeast mix.


Place the flour and salt into a bowl and make an indent and pour the milk/yeast mix in.


I used a wooden spoon but you could also use your hands. Mix until there is no dry flour left (if it is a too sticky add 1 Tbsp of flour)


Dump onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 3 mins.


Roll into a ball, and let rest covered for 10 minutes.


Cover a sheet pan with parchment paper and sprinkle with cornmeal (As you can see I did not). Roll dough to about 1/2" thick and cut into circles (however big you want yours to be) Just keep rolling and cutting until all the dough is used. Cover with a dry towel in a warm place until doubled 40-45 min. (I put mine under my stove lamp)


Heat a pan or griddle (like I did) on medium low, do not grease. Place muffins on and cook until brown on bottom, when brown flip over and brown the tops. (I did not time them but it was only a few minutes on each side)


Right off of the stove.


Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment