Monday, May 20, 2013

Rough Puff Pastry

Puff pastry is delicious, but it is very time consuming. The other day I was debating if I wanted to start a batch of puff pastry for some apple turnovers that I am going to make, I ended up not starting it. But I came across a recipe for "instant" puff pastry. I thought to myself, "hey, isn't that cheating?!" I read through the recipe, it didn't call for sandwiching the butter in the dough or even resting in between turns. All you do is mix in the butter chunks much like you do for pie dough. So cheating aside I decided to give it a try. I must say it was sooo easy! A little sifting, a little mashing the butter with your fingers and voila! puff pastry dough. As a side note I would only add about 1/2 the water at first, then add more as needed.

Instant Puff Pastry
250g    A.P. Flour
1 Tsp.    Sea Salt (Fine)
250g    Butter (Cut into chunks)
75-150 Ml.    Cold Water


Sift flour and salt together in a bowl.


Place chunks of butter into the flour.


Using your hands mash the butter into the flour, do not compact it though.


Make a crater in the mixture and pour water into it. Start with 75 Ml. increase up to 150 Ml. total as needed.


Mine was a little too sticky, I should have used less water.


Wrap in plastic wrap and place in fridge for at least 20 min.


Take out of fridge and shape the ball into a small rectangle. If yours was a little too sticky like mine was just add a bit more flour to your dough.


Roll out to about 1/4" thick, keep in a rectangle.


Fold the bottom up and the top down (into thirds).


Wrap with plastic and put back into fridge for at least 20 min.

When you are ready roll out however much you need, flour table.

Bake at 350F until golden brown

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment